a GTI Differentiated Gas Measurement and Verification Initiative
Accelerating actions to reduce methane leakage across natural gas systems
Veritas, a GTI Differentiated Gas Measurement and Verification Initiative, is designed to accelerate actions that reduce methane leakage from natural gas systems. The effort brings together scientists, academics, environmental organizations, certification organizations, and industry participants to demonstrate emissions reductions in a consistent, credible, and transparent way. The initiative will develop accurate and verified methane emissions intensities and the necessary protocols to calculate measurement-informed methane emissions for natural gas systems, by segment.
Reducing methane emissions is a this-decade opportunity to slow the rate of global warming, and leading companies and organizations are hard at work on this opportunity. An array of new technologies and solutions are increasingly available, but the market lacks a consistent, credible, verifiable, and transparent methodology for assessing the effectiveness of those technologies and practices in reducing methane emissions.
Veritas convenes diverse stakeholders in an open and transparent process to develop technical protocols and a widely accepted methodology to quantify methane emissions.
Have questions about a consistent, credible, verifiable, and transparent methodology for measuring methane emissions reductions?
- As an independent, nonprofit research organization, GTI is uniquely qualified to develop technically robust protocols based on sound science, best operational practices, and leading technology performance characteristics.
- GTI’s experts have been researching, developing, and deploying technologies for decades, securing thousands of patents and convening diverse stakeholders for independent research.
- The methodologies developed by Veritas will provide unbiased, clear methods for measuring emissions reductions and will be a useful tool for demonstrating progress on emissions reduction goals.
- The unique goal of Veritas is to develop a standardized approach to measuring and verifying methane emissions intensities as a flexible, foundational tool that can be used to inform company certification programs, ESG disclosures, regulatory reporting, and investor transparency. Veritas supports the interests of numerous stakeholders interested in assessing methane emissions intensities.
- Veritas is not developing natural gas certification programs, policy, regulatory advocacy programs, or creating source-specific emission factors.
- The goal of Veritas is to develop a set of protocols and methodologies, not to develop a certification scheme.
- These foundational methodologies will be open to all stakeholders, including policymakers, for use in a variety of applications whether regulatory reporting or voluntary certifications. This creates the opportunity for different applications to employ a consistent set of protocols, allowing for apples-to-apples comparisons of methane emissions intensities.
- We are embracing collaboration to develop these methodologies, and will provide opportunities for stakeholder observation and participation, such as periodic briefings to regulators, to both inform them of our efforts and gather their input.
- Similarly, we will convene a vendor panel to ensure the protocols are technology-agnostic and factor in real-world considerations.