STEP Demo will advance the technology readiness level (TRL) of the sCO2 cycle level from TRL 3 to TRL 7 through a staged risk-reduction approach.
Specific Project Goals
- Demonstrate the operability of the indirect sCO2 power cycle
- Verify the performance of components (turbomachinery, recuperators, compressors, etc.)
- Show the potential for producing a lower cost of electricity and the potential for a thermodynamic cycle efficiency greater than 50% at commercial scales.
- Demonstrate at least a 700°C turbine inlet temperature and a Recompression Closed Brayton Cycle (RCBC) configuration that demonstrates system and component design and performance, including generating at least 10 MWe
- A simple cycle configuration with a 500°C turbine inlet temperature will also be tested to provide information for waste heat applications
- Reconfigurable facility to accommodate future testing
- System/cycle upgrades
- New cycle configurations (i.e., cascade cycles, directly fired cycles, etc.)
- New or upgraded components (turbomachinery, recuperators and heat exchangers)